Each year we add NLCP scholars to our Peace Warriors student groups at both the Collins and Christiana campuses. Students who wish to become Peace Warriors go through an intensive training process, which teaches them the Six Principles of Kingian Nonviolence and trains them how to put those principles into practice. The students who successfully complete the training commit to living nonviolently and teaching others to do the same. NLCP’s Peace Warriors positively impact school culture through proactive engagement with other students.
NLCP Peace Warriors In The Media
Facing Down Danger / Scholastic Magazine, Jan 2019
The Peace Warriors / Scholastic Choices, Nov 2018
North Lawndale Youth Emerge as Neighborhood’s New Leaders / The Real Chi, July 13, 2018
Chicago teens take lead on gun violence at home, nationally / AP News, May 16, 2018
The 6 Principles of Nonviolence, as exemplified by Martin Luther King Jr.
- Nonviolence is a way of life for courageous people.
- The Beloved Community is the framework for the future.
- Attack forces of evil not persons doing evil.
- Accept suffering without retaliation for the sake of the cause to achieve a goal.
- Avoid internal violence of the spirit as well as external physical violence.
- The Universe is on the side of justice.